The Gamma Mu Chapter at the University of Maryland was officially instated on the 15th of February 1947.
Jean Ford, Mary Dow and Sally Reed worked hard in Fall 1946 to hold Recruitment parties at Alumni houses and the Maryland Room. In February, initiation of 15 new members was held at district 7's convention at Haddon Hall, Atlantic City, New Jersey.
In the Spring of 1947, a house was provided by the University in what is now Leonardtown Apartments. In the first seven years, Gamma Mu became active in many activities and had risen from a newcomer on campus to one of the top sororities on campus, and remains so to this day.
In January 1954, Gamma Mu's moved onto frat row, in house number 8, the last sorority house next to the beginning of the fraternity houses . . . but they weren't ready! With no new furniture, no rugs, no anything, we moved into the new house. We only had the beds in which we had been sleeping. Furniture began to arrive slowly, and little by little the house began to look like a home rather than an empty barn.
In 1993, the Gamma Mu moved into the old chapter house of Kappa Kappa Gamma at 7407 Princeton Ave. This house is much larger than the house of Fraternity Row, including a separate chapter room and capacity for fifty girls plus house directors.
We rented the facility for ten years until 2003, when Kappa nationals finally sold the house to Kappa Alpha Theta for just under half a million dollars. As soon as the purchase was made, renovations began, including a new sprinkler system and a new roof. The house was built in 1937, with a large addition in 1957. With these continuing improvements, the Gamma Mu facility will reflect the quality and reputation of its sisters.
Thanks to the efforts of over a thousand Gamma Mu's. We continue to be a driving force within the university community with many sisters active not only with the Greek System, but within student government, philanthropic organizations, sports teams, and more!